12 Aug Campaign Review: CoverGirl #GirlsCan Program Empowers Young Women with Soledad O’Brien
COVERGIRL is celebrating the second year of its #GirlsCan program, a movement with a mission to empower young women to overcome barriers, break boundaries and be the next generation to rock the world. COVERGIRL aims to inspire more women and girls to strive to make strides in areas where women are currently underrepresented, from technology and engineering, to media and sports, to entrepreneurship and beyond. To kick off the second year of the movement, COVERGIRL – which committed $5MM over five years to the cause – is sharing first-year results and also launching a video content series produced by journalist and documentarian Soledad O’Brien.
The content series features powerful stories of four women who have faced challenges, forged ahead and defied the odds to achieve their dreams, setting an example for many other women to follow. The pioneering women featured in the series include:
- COVERGIRL Becky G, an inspiring young Latina rap star, who has broken through on the charts in a male-dominated industry
- Geena Rocero, a transgender woman who has not only graced the cover of top magazines and ads for fashion brands, but is also an entrepreneur with her own production company
- Tina Garnanez, a former female military veteran coping with PTSD, who fought for years in the military, where women make up just 15% of the population
- Rochelle Ballantyne, college student, and currently the closest female in the United States to achieving the chess title of “Master” —there are only 50 female masters out of 846 in the US!
The series is available to view on the COVERGIRL YouTube channel at covergirl.com/GirlsCan.
“Women today are out there breaking barriers and setting records in all sectors of their lives but are still facing challenges that many people wouldn’t expect in the new millennium,” said Soledad O’ Brien. “We are so excited to work with COVERGIRL and share our series on how these courageous women are changing society. Their struggles are all real and relatable while their stories are inspiring.”
COVERGIRL collaborated with two non-profit partners to help impact change including Girls Who Code, and Soledad O’Brien + Brad Raymond Starfish Foundation. Through this programming, COVERGIRL:
- Helped Girls Who Code get closer to achieving their goal of closing the gender gap in computer science
- Challenged Girls Who Code Clubs participants to design a mobile app that would empower women and girls to express themselves and celebrate their unique beauty.
- Granted thirty-six scholarships over the next 2 years to young women in their pursuit to higher education
- Encouraged awareness of #GirlsCan and continued to impact change through a special retail promotion where purchase of a specially-marked mascara benefited two additional non-profit organizations, Step Up and Dress for Success
In all of COVERGIRL’s activations for #GirlsCan, the brand is committing to providing a megaphone to the voices of women and their stories of breaking boundaries.
To stay updated on the latest #GirlsCan news, visit covergirl.com/GirlsCan or follow COVERGIRL on YouTube youtube.com/covergirl, Facebook facebook.com/covergirl, Twitter twitter.com/covergirl and Instagram instagram.com/covergirl.
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items on BeautyStat.com.
What do you think of the CoverGirl #GirlsCan program?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Managing Editor
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.