03 May Makeup, Hairstyle Trends 2017, 2018, 2019: Best Beauty Looks At The Met Gala 2016
Katie Holmes graced the carpet of the Met Gala last night with hair styled by DJ Quintero for Alterna Haircare. The inspiration? Katie’s look is centered around dramatic faux lashes that her makeup artist brought in. “The whole feel became very Cher-esque; a 70’s throwback,” noted Quintero. He styled her hair long, straight and super-shiny, complimenting her black Zac Posen gown, shoes and Cartier jewels.
Get The Look:
- Prep damp hair by liberally applying Alterna Haircare Caviar CC Cream, for added manageability and smoothness
- Blow dry using a thick round brush
- Flat iron using a Sultra Beauty 1-inch tool
- To hide extensions in real hair, apply Alterna Haircare Bamboo Smooth Kendi Dry Oil Mist to the areas where they meet
- Use a small comb to part hair down the middle and create a super-long part
- For moveable hold, smooth in a small amount of Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-Aging Working Hair Spray
Kate Upton was rocking a new cut on the red carpet at the Gala. Celebrity stylist, Peter Butler, worked his magic for Kate’s “Lauren Bacall Inspired” look with ColorProof Evolved Color Care’s line of professional luxury products designed exclusively for color-treated hair. With technology as the focus of this year’s soiree, ColorProof celebrates this year’s MET Gala with Kate Upton donning their next generation innovations with best-in-class ingredients, creating a new standard in color care.
Get The Look:
- We started with Kate’s hair just at her shoulder and cut it to her collar bone!
- I first washed and conditioned her hair with the new ColorProof SignatureBlonde Collection to illuminate, brighten and replenish her classic golden locks. I especially love the SignatureBlonde Restorative Filler because it closes the hair’s cuticle to provide a smooth, youthful finish.
- We wanted a lot of volume for this look so I started with the ColorProof LiftIt Color Protect Foam Mousse to help build the volume and create soft curls. The hair is pulled to one side that compliments not only her amazing structure but a beautiful diamond ear cuff she is wearing!
- The ColorProof TextureCharge Color Protect Texture + Finishing Spray really came into play for this look as well. I applied the Texture Charge to each section of the hair when it was completely dry after I blow dried each section with a round brush.
- Then apply the ColorProof FiberBlast Texture Crème to the ends of the hair to help keep flyaways down.
- To finish the look I used the ColorProof HumidityRx Anti-Frizz Weatherproof Spray which is a life saver with the weather today being humid and wet!
Claire Danes’ hairstylist, Peter Butler, shared his “how to” for achieving her hairstyle using Infusium 23 Repair + Renew Collection and PRO Beauty Tools.
Get The Look:
- Start with washing the hair using Infusium 23 Repair + Renew Shampoo, followed by treating the hair with Infusium 23 Repair + Renew Conditioner.
- After towel drying, spray the Infusium 23 Repair + Renew Leave-In Treatment to protect from heat and styling, tame fly-aways and also get that undeniable shine!
- Next, blow dry the hair using the PRO Beauty Tools 1875W Ionic AC Motor and a round brush going away from the face.
- Use PRO Beauty Tools 1 ¼ Curling Iron just around the hairline to give hair beautiful glam curls. Then run fingers through the hair lightly to break it up.
- Finally, pull hair back smoothly into a low pony tail. Twist the ponytail into a loose knot and secure with bobby pins for that final look.
Mara Roszak, L’Oréal Paris Celebrity Hairstylist styled Emma Stone’s hair. “Emma wore this gorgeous white, flowy Prada gown with sharp gun metal details for an ethereal yet edgy look. We wanted the hair to have a strong, powerful presence.”
Get The Look:
- Mara started by washing Emma’s hair with L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Extraordinary Oil Shampoo ($4.99) and conditioning with L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Extraordinary Oil Conditioner ($4.99).
- Then, Mara prepped Emma’s hair with L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Boost It Volume Inject Mousse ($4.99) and parted it off to the side. To disguise Emma’s bangs, she pinned them off to the side.
- Next, using a small round brush and ghd air™ hairdryer ($199 at Sephora) she blow dried the hair to create volume.
- Then, she pin curled hair and sprayed all over with L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Strong Hold ($14.99).
- After several minutes, Mara took the pins out and used the 1 ¼ inch ghd Curve Soft Curl Iron ($199 at Sephora) to go over the curls.
- Next, she brushed out the curls to create looser waves, spritzed all over with L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Sleek it Stand-Smoother Serum Spray for shine and applied L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Strong Hold ($14.99) to keep hair in place.
Beyonce stunned, as usual on the red carpet with sleek straight hair. While Kendall Jenner sported a pretty ponytail.
Laini Reeves for ABBA Pure Performance Hair Care styled hair for a glowing Emily Blunt. The inspiration was Technical Hair for a Technical Age. She wore a galactic double ponytail wrapped with semi-precious pewter and copper hair jewels.
Get The Look:
- Shampoo and condition the hair with ABBA Pure Performance Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner for healthy shine
- Apply ABBA Pure Performance Smoothing Blow Dry Lotion to the hair from roots to ends to prep for a sleek up-do and to prevent any fly-aways and frizz
- Spray ABBA Pure Performance Firm Hold Hairspray on a boar bristle paddle brush and start brushing the hair back
- Next, take a thin comb and part the hair from just behind the ear up to the sides. Secure the top half ponytail with a small elastic
- Brush the bottom half of the hair into a low ponytail and secure with a small elastic
- Take the strand of semi-precious pewter and copper stones and begin tightly wrapping the top ponytail from the base down the end. Once covered, move to the bottom ponytail, connecting the two ponies with the ribbon of hair jewels. Secure the beaded strand with bobby pins (hair accessories was one of the big trend tonight!)
- Spray generously with ABBA Pure Performance Firm Hold Hairspray for extra hold
Singer Rita Ora wowed on the red carpet at the 2016 Met Gala: Manus x Machina. Celebrity makeup artist Kathy Jeung drew inspiration from Rita’s silver, feathered, custom Vera Wang gown, adding a metallic pop at the inner corners of the eyes and a warm, bronze to help shape them. Kathy complimented the singer’s show-stopping eyes with glowing, sculpted skin and a slightly iridescent lip.
Kathy filled in Rita’s brows with Rimmel London Brow This Way Sculpting Kit in Mid Brown and finished with Rimmel London Brow This Way Styling Gel in Medium Brown to keep them in place throughout the night.
Using the Rimmel London Magnif’eyes Double Ended Shadow & Liner in Queens of a Bronzed Age, Kathy blended the bronze shadow into the crease and lower lash line. She then applied Rimmel London ScandalEyes Waterproof Eyeshadow Stick in Witness White to the inside corners of Rita’s eyes, blending the pencil out with Rimmel London ScandalEyes Waterproof Eyeshadow Stick in Guilty Grey. As a final touch, Kathy applied Rimmel London SuperCurler 24H Mascara in Black to lengthen and curl Rita’s lashes.
Supermodel Cindy Crawford at the 2016 Met Gala was a futuristic mermaid. Rimmel London Makeup Artist Jo Baker balanced the legendary model’s silvery scaled Balmain gown with smokey pink eyes and a soft, pinky-nude lip. Her look was fluid, modern and chic.
NARS worked with celebrity makeup artist Sarah Tanno to create the 2016 Met Gala makeup look for Lady Gaga, who attended wearing Versace.
“Fashion in an age of technology is something I feel Lady Gaga has been a huge influence on. When creating this look for her Versace design I wanted to do something that was more rock in a modern and futuristic way. I focused on highlighted skin and a bold red orange lip.”
Get The Look:
Fervor Dual Intensity, Desdemona Dual-Intensity Eyeshadow, Mineshaft Velvet Lip Glide
Mario Dedivanovic for SEPHORA COLLECTION did Kim Kardashian West’s makeup for the Gala. To complement the futuristic metallic Balmain gown, Mario wanted Kim’s makeup to be ultramodern yet true to her glowing, bronzed signature look.
For Kylie Jenner’s first appearance on the Met Gala Red Carpet, she opted for a show-stopping, structured metallic Balmain gown, complemented by a soft burnished, bronzy makeup eye look created by Ariel Tejada for Charlotte Tilbury Beauty.
Get The Look:
- To start, Tejada prepped skin with a mixture of Charlotte’s Magic Creamand Supermodel Body to create that gorgeous glow that plays with the light. Next, he applied The Retoucher Concealer in 3 & 4 where needed and set the skin with a light dusting of Air Brush Flawless Finish Skin Perfecting Micro-Powder.
- To create a subtle contour and dreamy highlight, he used the red carpet contour kit, Filmstar Bronze & Glow in Light-Medium, and created a healthy, happy glow with Cheek to Chic Blusher in Love is the Drug.
- To create a unique veil of color on the eyes, Tejada combined shades from the Vintage Vamp Luxury Paletteand the Dolce Vita Luxury Palette. Starting with a mixture of the “pop” shades from both, Tejada applied all over the eyelids to create a strong base. Next, he used the “enhance” shade from the Vintage Vamp through the crease to create a rosy-tone, and soften the look with the “enhance” shade from the Dolce Vita. Lastly, he took the smoke shade from the Vintage Vamp to create a winged eyeshadow look and to rim the lower lash line. He finished with lashings and lashings of Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes.
- Tejada applied the “enhance” shade from the Luxury Palette in The Sophisticate, to create a base on the eyelids, and used the “base” shade on the inner corners of the eyes to create a mesmerizing, wide-awake eye. Next, he blended the shadows along the lash line to add depth and lined the lower lash waterline withRock ‘N’ Kohl Eye Cheat to brighten her eyes.
- He finished with one gold stud on the corner of her eye and Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashesto the bottom lashes.
- To complete the look, Tejada opted for a nude lip by applying Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Lip Liner in Iconic Nudefollowed by Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G Lipstick in Penelope Pink.
Last night, model Bella Hadid stunned on the red carpet in a sleek, chic Givenchy gown, complemented with luminous, glowing skin, a sophisticated smoky eye, and a gorgeous nude lip look created by Vincent Oquendo for Charlotte Tilbury Beauty.
Get The Look:
- To prep Bella’s skin and ensure a flawless canvas, Oquendo applied Charlotte’s Magic Creamgenerously to the entire face, massaging it in an angel wing motion. Then, he followed with Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow, creating a flawless soft focus finish and an instant “spotlight” effect for the perfect base for Charlotte’s Magic Foundation.
- To create a subtle contour and unbeatable highlight, he used the red carpet essential, Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow in Light-Medium, and framed her face by enhancing her already-gorgeous brows with Charlotte Tilbury Brow Lift in Cara D.
- Oquendo applied the “enhance” shade from the Luxury Palette in The Sophisticate, to create a base on the eyelids, and used the “prime” shade on the inner corners of the eyes to create a mesmerizing, wide-awake eye. Next, he blended the shadows along the lash line to add depth and lined the lower lash waterline withRock ‘N’ Kohl Eye Cheat to brighten her eyes. He finished with one gold stud on the corner of her eye and Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes to the bottom lashes.
- Oquendo softly applied the Charlotte Tilbury Beach Stick in Moon Beach to add a healthy warmth to her cheekbones.
- To complete the look, Oquendo opted for a nude lip by applying Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Lip Liner in Pillowtalk followed by Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G Lipstick in Stoned Rose to perfect the shape of Bella’s lips.
- As a finishing touch, Oquendo lightly dusted on Air Brush Flawless Finish Micro-Perfecting Powder in Shade 1 to mattify the skin and create a red carpet ready complexion.
For Saoirse Ronan, the inspiration was feathered impact.
Get The Look:
- I started with Avon Ideal Flawless Foundation and then applied Avon Ideal Luminous Blush in Heavenly Pink to her cheeks.
- I used a really neutral, pink eyeshadow on the lid and created a feathered wing using Avon Mega Effects Liquid Eyeliner. I finished with NEW Avon Big & Multiplied Volume Mascara in Black.
- Avon True Color Perfectly Matte in Pure Pink finished off the look with a pale, neutral lip.
And we loved Taylor Swift‘s bold dark lip.
Jourdan Dunn looked absolutely flawless at the Met Gala and we have her skincare secret! Before makeup, Jourdan prepped her skin with the ELEMIS Pro-Collagen Hydra-Gel Eye Masks ($85, Elemis.com), which reduces fine lines and wrinkles in just 20 minutes.
The perfect pre-red carpet remedy, these miracle masks instantly give you a boost of hydration, which can be lost due to a hectic schedule, whether it be lots of travel, lack of sleep (or both!), so you can shine like your favorite fashion star.
At the Met Gala, the future of beauty and fashion is here – and COVERGIRL Katy Perry is bringing her creative vision to life with chic black lipstick and blue lashes on the red carpet. Katy rocked her interpretation of tonight’s theme “Manus x Machina” with a look created by celebrity makeup artist Todd Delano to pair her stunning gown with her new Katy Kat Collection with COVERGIRL.
Get The Look:
- For Katy’s natural, fresh complexion I started with Ready, Set, Gorgeous Foundation in 220 to the center of her face to even out her skin tone. I bronzed and contoured with truBLEND Bronzer in Bronze and truBLEND Blush in Medium Rose on the apples of the cheeks.
- Next up, I moved onto the eyes – I used the truNAKED Eyeshadow Palette in Nudes to highlight and contour. The shades in this palette have awesome payout and work well with one another for a soft eye look. I then continued with COVERGIRL Liquiline Blast Eyeliner in Blue Boom inside the eye water line. To glam up the look a bit we used a few swipes of the new Katy Kat Eye Mascara in Perry Blue, which added just the right amount of blue color to the lashes and sweeps them up and out.
- Now for the final touch – the black lips. We are using Katy Kat Matte Lipstick in Perry Panther which is both every bit fun as is it is chic. This demi matte formula is perfect for a night like the Met Gala, as it keeps the lips feeling soft, but still achieves that long lasting matte look.
NARS worked with celebrity makeup artist Georgie Eisdell to create the 2016 Met Gala makeup look for Alicia Vikander, who attended wearing Louis Vuitton. “My inspiration for Alicia’s look came from her unbelievable Louis Vuitton gown and of course the theme of the night. Alicia has absolutely perfect skin so I wanted it to glow. I wanted the rest of her face to be modern but not overdone, so I kept the look defined yet subtle.”
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items using BeautyStat.com.
What was your favorite look of the night from the Met Gala?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Managing Editor
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.