31 Aug Makeup, Hairstyle Trends 2016, 2017, 2018: Review of the Best Beauty Looks From 2015 MTV VMAs Video Music Awards
The MTV Video Music Awards always brings the brightest stars to the red (or in this case, multicolored) carpet showcasing the hottest looks. This year’s show was amazing with performances by The Weekend, Tori Kelly, Demi Lovato, Pharell and more. But, as I sat in my living room dancing to the beats (and singing off-key!), I couldn’t keep my eyes off the stunning hair and makeup looks. Below, we’ve rounded up the best of the evening with some step-by-step tips and products used by the celebs. And, hey, even if you want to recreate Miley’s bold look, we’ll show you how.
Gigi Hadid looked stunning as always for last night’s VMA’s. Stylist Jennifer Yepez for ghd North America wanted to “create hair that was simple yet glamorous to help show off her gorgeous dress.”
“First I dried Gigi’s hair using the ghd air hairdryer, $225, and ghd ceramic vented radial brush size 3, $53. I started by blowing Gigi’s hair, beginning from the nape of her neck and working towards the front. Once I got to the section surrounding her ears, I applied moose and thickening spray near roots and teased the hair to create a glamorous look straight from the 70s. The secret to her sleek, slicked back look was the new ghd platinum styler, $249, that straightened the hair with ghd’s tri-zone technology, styling at the optimal temperature of 365 degrees which ensures styles last longer and gives added shine.” Products available at Sephora, Sephora.com, ghdhair.com/us.
Get Gigi’s look using Pureology products:
- Apply Pureology Colour Stylist Root Liftspray hair mousse to damp hair at base and the NEW! Smooth Perfection Style Shaping Gel (available in salons and ulta.com beginning Sept. 1) to the ends.
- Directionally blowdry the hair back and off of the face using a flat brush at the base and a round brush at the ends.
- Backcomb the hair from the crown forward in horizontal sections, laying one section over the other to the back of head.
- Smooth hair with a soft bristle brush and finish with Pureology Colour StylistStrengthening Controlzero dulling hairspray for a lasting hold.
Visit StyleSeat.com/Pureology to book an appointment or buy authentic Pureology products from your local salon.
Kim Kardashian West
You can never go wrong with bangs! Nicki Minaj showed off sleek, blunt bangs while Kylie Jenner opted for fringe styled bangs at the award show.
Wo doesn’t love a pretty pony? Bella Thorne rocked this fun up-do yesterday, and we just love it!
We’re huge fans of this fun, easy going look! Whether you love a lot of curl like Kat and Keltie or slight waves like Zuri, wavy bobs are hot.
While millions of viewers anticipated what thrill-seeker Miley Cyrus would (or wouldn’t!) wear to host the MTV VMAs, stylist Gregory Russell was prepping the star’s hair with Bed Head by TIGI products. To accompany her many wardrobe changes, Russell created an over-the-top textured ponytail with a rotation of handmade accessories throughout the evening.
- Apply a generous amount of TIGI Bed Head Hard Head Gel to wet hair and tightly comb hair towards the crown to create a ponytail. Secure the ponytail in place with a bungee band and use a diffuser to dry the gel base
- Next, apply TIGI Bed Head Joyride Texturizing Powder Balmto the ponytail for second-day texture in an instant and blow out using a flat brush
- Then, apply a pearl-sized amount of TIGI Bed Head Hard to Get Texturizing Paste to 2-3″ sections of the hair ponytail band to ends
- Twist each section around itself then use a comb to tease the twist. Repeat this technique through the ends for a “dreadlock” look. Add TIGI Bed Head Manipulator Mattedown the twist for a matte finish
- Finish with TIGI Bed Head Hard Head Hairspray
We can’t forget about the gorgeous makeup looks that graced the carpet at the awards.
Selena Gomez slayed with a flawless, fresh-faced beauty look complete with a nude pout and sultry eyes courtesy of her favorite beauty brands, including COVERGIRL. Below, makeup artist Jake Bailey shares a detailed breakdown of how he achieved her star look.
“I kept Selena’s makeup simple and sophisticated to not compete with her elegant Calvin Klein gown. I prepped her skin with Ren “Ever Calm” day cream and a few drops of Ren Instant Firming Beauty Shot Serum to create a smooth canvas. While I let the product absorb I began working on the eyes, using COVERGIRL Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner in Black Onyx to define her upper lash line. I then used Nars Velvet Shadow Stick in Shimmering Peacock all over her lids and lower lash lines and also blended it out with a small soft shadow brush for a smokey affect. I finished the sultry eyes look with a coat of COVERGIRL The Super Sizer Mascara by LashBlast to create dramatic, show-stopping lashes.
To even out her skin tone I used COVERGIRL Clean Liquid Foundation and then applied a coral cream blush from Chanel to warm up her complexion. I set the foundation and cream blush with a light dusting of Laura Mercier loose powder and added a touch of the Nars Gienah Contour Blush onto the hollows of her cheeks to accentuate her cheekbones. I finished off the look with a thin application of COVERGIRL Colorlicious Lipstick in Coffee Crave for the perfect nude pout!
Bristish model, actress, and singer Cara Delevingne walked the red carpet at last nights VMAs with Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood” crew. She stood out among the beauties with glowing skin and strikingly defined eyes that celebrity makeup artist Molly R Stern kept a little smudged and edgy. “I wanted Cara to look effortless with a subtle edge of rock ‘n roll. To do this everything had to be done softly to keep her looking fresh.
“To start, I prepped Cara’s skin with Jurlique Rose Water Spray and then massaged in Reviv Defensif Renewal serum which offers an antioxidant infusion. I finished off her prep with lightweight, yet richly textured, Natura Bisse Oxygen Cream.”
Step 2: Face
“For her complexion I applied a light veil of Physicians Formula Argan Wear Ultra-Nourishing Argan Oil BB Cream in Light. Next I applied Kjar Weiss cream blush in Desired Glow in the hollows of her cheek. I then set that whole look with a light dusting HD perfecting powder.”
Step 3: Eyes
“For Cara’s eye I smudged a taupe cream shadow on the lids and dusted a sheer layer of YSL Contour Mono Eyeshadow in 15 Frasque over the top. Next I tightly lined her lash line top and bottom using Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Cat Eye Collection Liquid Eyeliner. Then I smudged and extended that line using Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Extreme Shimmer Eyeliner Trio in Nude. I finished with two coats top and bottom of Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Cat Eye Collection Mascara to add fluttery lashes with a dark edge.
Step 4: Lips
I kept her lips nude using matte toned Lipstick Queen Velvet Rope in Star System.
Urban Decay was behind some of last nights stunning makeup looks!
Mario Dedivanovic, Kim’s makeup artist, went with a simple but glowy “classic Kim K” look – a beautiful, softer version of her usual smoky eye and an understated, matte nude lip.” The inspiration, “Kim is wearing a beautiful army green Balmain dress, with slicked-back, “wet look” hair.
- Prep skin with NAKED Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup ($40) for a glowing, demi-matte complexion.
- Blend Afterglow 8-Hour Powder Blush in Indecent ($26) onto the apples of the cheeks – this peachy shade makes the complexion look healthy and radiant.
- To create a soft, smoky eye, first prep lids with Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($20) to ensure a lasting look.
- Using the NAKED Smoky palette ($54), lightly highlight the brow bone and inner corners with High, a light rose gold shimmer. Blend the shimmery, bronzy shade Radar across the entire lid and along the lower lash line.
5. Line the upper lash line with 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion ($20) and softly smudge it for some drama and definition. Finish with a few coats of Perversion Mascara ($22).
6. Line lips with 24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencil in 1993 ($20) and fill in lips with Matte Revolution Lipstick in Stark Naked ($22).
Makeup artist Matthew VanLeeuwen wanted to add some spice to the simplicity of Rebel’s dress so he went for a modern, rock ‘n roll edge with her makeup with Urban Decay.
1. Prep skin with NAKED Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup in 2.0 ($40), and use NAKED Skin Concealer ($28) to touch up any redness. Finish skin with NAKED Skin Pressed Finishing Powder ($34) for a flawless complexion.
2. Highlight the brow bone, cheekbones and the bridge of the nose with NAKED Illuminated ($30), and blend Afterglow Blush in Indecent ($26) under cheekbones and up towards the temple.
3. Lay a base of Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($20) on lids. Using NAKED2 ($54), highlight the inner corners with YDK and sweep Half Baked across the rest of the lid and onto the lower lash line. Blend Pistol into the crease and slightly above it. Line the upper lid with 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in LSD ($20), and layer a few coats of Perversion Mascara ($22) onto upper lashes.
4. Define eyebrows with Brow Beater Microfine Pencil in Taupe ($20), and set them with a few sweeps of Brow Tamer Gel in Clear ($20).
5. Line and fill lips with 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Anarchy ($20) to create a base for lip color to grip on to. Layer a coat of Matte Revolution Lipstick in Menace ($22) on top for a bold pop of long-wear color.
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items on BeautyStat.com.
What did you think of last night’s VMAs? Which look was your favorite?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Managing Editor
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.