How To Reduce The Signs Of Skin Aging (Fine Lines, Wrinkles) – Tips To Look Younger
Photo Courtesy of Healthyprocedure.com
Who wants wrinkles? No one! That’s why we make sure to take care of our skin by staying out of direct sunlight, moisturizing and buying the best anti-aging creams out there on the market. But, do you know that it takes more than just an expensive face cream to keep those wrinkles at bay? The American Academy of Dermatology shares with BeautyStat readers some effective and simple tips from dermatologists to help us get the most out of our anti-aging skincare regimen.
“People often think that the more expensive a product is, the more effective it will be,” said board-certified dermatologist Susan C. Taylor, MD, FAAD, founding director of the Skin of Color Center at St. Luke’s and Roosevelt Hospitals in New York City. “That’s not always the case. People need to shop smart since there are some very effective, affordable products in the skin care aisles of their local stores.”
To get the most from age-fighting products, Dr. Taylor recommends people also follow these tips:
- Wear sunscreen every day since the sun’s rays can accelerate signs of aging. Use a sunscreen or facial moisturizer that offers broad-spectrum protection and has an SPF of at least 30. Be sure to apply sunscreen to all skin that is not covered by clothing.
- Do not tan. Getting a tan from the sun or a tanning bed exposes you to harmful UV rays that can accelerate aging, causing wrinkles, age spots, a blotchy complexion and even skin cancer.
- Moisturize. Moisturizing traps water in the skin, which can help reduce the appearance of some fine lines and make your complexion look brighter and younger.
- Test products, even those labeled “hypoallergenic.” To test, dab a small amount of the product on your inner forearm twice a day for four to five days. If you do not have a reaction, it is likely safe for you to apply to your face.
- Use the product as directed. Active ingredients can do more harm than good when too much is used. Applying more than directed can cause clogged pores, a blotchy complexion, or other unwanted effects.
- Stop using products that sting or burn unless prescribed by a dermatologist. Irritating the skin makes signs of aging more noticeable. Some products prescribed by a dermatologist may cause stinging or burning. When under a dermatologist’s care, this can be safe and effective.
- Limit the number of products. Using too many products on your skin, especially more than one anti-aging product, tends to irritate the skin. This often makes signs of aging more noticeable.
“It’s very important that people allow time for the product to work. While a moisturizer can immediately plump up fine lines, most products take at least six weeks to work and sometimes it can take three months,” said Dr. Taylor. “See a dermatologist if after following these tips you still do not see the expected results,” said Dr. Taylor.
So, what do you ladies think about these skin-saving tips? Do any of you have tips of your own? Let us know by commenting below, which will automatically be posted to our Community Forum (click here to check it out!) where you can find other beauty related discussions! Don’t forget to also submit a photo to our Photo Of The Day (click here!) feature, where a new photo will be picked daily. Your photo just might be selected, so get going!
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.
BeautyStat frequently receives products for review but its opinions and reviews are completely unbiased and not sponsored. Should there ever be a sponsored post, we will ensure that this is displayed clearly in the post heading. Samples are certainly welcome for consideration but do not guarantee reviews.