Get The Makeup Look Of Suzy Bishop Of Moonrise Kingdom Movie
Wes Anderson‘s most recent film, Moonrise Kingdom, has gotten major press since debuting as the opening film at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. Most of us remember his most famous film The Royal Tenenbaums back in 2001, with Gwyneth Paltrow playing a kooky character — dressed in a fur coat and mod 60′s black eyeliner. Wes has continued onto the same path with bold makeup statements that are consistently portrayed throughout his new film. Quite creative and catchy, he has also created a very youthful and vibrant, but very subtle, makeup look for the main female character of the film, Suzy Bishop. Here is how to get Suzy’s makeup look.
1. Starting with a clean face, apply a moisturizer all over your skin. This will provide just the right amount of moisture and softness, as well as setting a clean canvas for your base. Choose one that contains an SPF that will protect your skin against the harmful UV rays of the sun. One amazing product to use and winner of 12 beauty awards is La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 ($31.95).
2. Next, use a concealer to cover dark under eye circles and any other blemishes or dark spots on your skin. Dermablend Quick Fix Concealer Stick with SPF of 30 ($23.00) is perfect for this, as it provides full coverage and erases any imperfections. You can apply this right from the stick, onto the face, and very lightly pat with one finger around the area to blend and set into the skin, or, you can use a concealer brush as well. Blemishes and sunspots for example, are best used with a concealer brush to precisely fix and target that specific area.
3. The final step in creating your base and flawless skin, is to apply a foundation that matches your natural skin tone. Lightly spread with your fingertips, brush or sponge, moving outwards from the face to even out the skin tone. Also, make sure you blend beyond the bottom of the chin down onto the neck to avoid a harsh line on your chin bone. Either a liquid, cream or powdered foundation will do. A quick and easy base to choose is Too Faced Amazing Face SPF 15 Foundation Powder ($32.00). This is a full coverage foundation and a setting powder all-in-one, so no need to use a separate powder over this, as it has its own finishing effect. The product also provides a sponge, which can be applied by using this tool, or by using a powder or foundation brush. The great thing about the Too Faced Amazing Face SPF 15 Foundation Powder is the texture and formula, as it is not too harsh or cakey at all (as most powder foundations tend to be). It’s very weightless and light — feels almost as if you are not wearing any makeup, but still covers pores and unwanted facial lines.
4. After your base is perfected for flawless skin, move onto the eyes, which is the major focus of Suzy’s look and most exciting part! Before applying any eyeshadow or liner, an eyeshadow primer is a great trick, as it will avoid any creasing or lines and smooth out the lid. One amazing primer is by Too Faced called Shadow Insurance ($18.00). This is guaranteed to stop the creasing and fading of your shadows throughout the day. It can be used underneath both powdered and cream eyeshadows. Simply dab a small bit onto your finger or a concealer brush (clean) and blend lightly covering the entire lid. Now you have created your base for the shadow and can start on the color!
5. The most important part of this brilliant, eye-catching look is the teal eyeshadow that she wears throughout the entire film! Choose a flat eyeshadow brush, one that will set into the eyelids that you will be able to easily pat onto the lids. A marvelous tool to apply the shadow is from the Too Faced Brush Shadow Brushes Essential 3 Piece Set ($39.00) that comes with three individual brushes. The Lid Brush in this set is perfect for applying your teal shadow. Simply dab your lid brush into the eyeshadow, flick off any excess and generously apply by patting the brush from the middle of the eyelid — not going beyond or above the natural crease line — and working outwards. It should cover entirely and only the natural shape of your upper eyelid. Choosing the right hue of eyeshadow is key for this look. A perfect shadow also by Too Faced is the Exotic Color Shadow Singles ($18.00) in shade Cop a Teal; that does the trick in executing the second step of her brilliant, colorful eye.
6. To attain the dramatic lash line and flirty lashes that Suzy has, there are two products to use: a black or dark gray eyeliner pencil and black mascara. First, start by softly gliding your pencil from the inner most corner of the upper eyelid to the outer, getting closest to the lash line as possible and filling in between the gaps and spaces in between the lashes. Then, slightly smudge past the outer corner of the eye with a Q-tip, or small smudge brush, and blend lightly outwards, but only a tiny bit to soften the appearance of the liner, not making it look too harsh. This is very subtle, as you do not want to create a cat eye effect, only adding a slight extension. The eyeshadow and eyeliner should be focused around the eye area, concentrating on the natural shape of the eye.
Next, choose your favorite black mascara, as this is the last step in creating Suzy’s splashy teal eye. The black mascara will form a contrast and make your eyes really pop! With your mascara wand, coat the top and underneath the top eyelashes, wiggling the wand from the lash line, moving upwards to the tips of your lashes. Also, lightly go over the bottom lashes only once, to enhance your natural lashes, as you do not want to create anything too harsh on the bottom. This will create a flirty, fun look to finalize the eye. For a wonderful, highly pigmented black mascara try Lashgasm Mascara ($21.00) by Too Faced. This product enhances each individual lash by volumizing and lengthening them — opening them up for a more youthful look. No need to apply false lashes!
7. Just one last step and you’re almost done! The lip is simple and easy. Because the eye is the focal point and most colorful, Suzy keeps her pout very natural and soft, so either a tinted balm or Chapstick will do. Choose one with an SPF for protection, keep moisturized and avoid dryness. Apply from the stick onto both the bottom and top lip. The shade she wears is very subtle and you can use a strawberry, raspberry or even a light cherry color. A fabulous balm is by Wet n Wild called Juicy Lip Balm with an SPF 15 ($2.99). Two perfect shades are Cherry (200C) or Strawberry (283C) (shown above). It’s also really fabulous because it can be found in any major drugstore and is a great buy. Inexpensive and a wonderful product to use as your everyday lip balm.
You have now created Suzy Bishop‘s colorful, young and flirtatious makeup look from the film Moonrise Kingdom. It’s a perfect face for any time of the year, especially in the spring or summer months! Will any of you ladies be trying this look out? Let us know by commenting below!
- Dawn DeSantis, beauty expert and editorial makeup artist, Dawn DeSantis (www.dawndesantis.com).
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.
BeautyStat frequently receives products for review but its opinions and reviews are completely unbiased and not sponsored. Should there ever be a sponsored post, we will ensure that this is displayed clearly in the post heading. Samples are certainly welcome for consideration but do not guarantee reviews.